A picture is worth a thousand words.
- and quite a few numbers too.
But how valuable is a picture of this sort:
Until now such pictures – Sankey diagrams – were worth either a sisyphoic effort:
by piecing them together in a drawing program, only to redo them when the figures change.
Or you could alternatively pay a lot of money for specialised charting or visualisation programs that could do the trick.
MS Excel is unable to create Sankey diagrams – or better 'was unable':
Sankey Helper v2.5 helps you design Sankey diagrams from Excel data ... in Excel !
- Creates Sankey diagrams directly in MSExcel.
- Updated diagrams from changed data in no time.
- Based on the common MSExcel. No additional software necessary.
- Freeware resp. Sankey-ware: Send me a diagram, use it for free.
- Adjacent aligning of neighbouring fluxes can vanish when data changes.
- User-assisted naming of data cells necessary
- Ability in handling the standard drawing objects in Excel/MSOffice is required
The picture above is an example of an elaborate Sankey diagram created with the assistance of Sankey Helper 2.5.
It has a One-step-default-diagram-macro to create simple diagrams straight from Excel tables. The default diagram can look like this:
Sankey Helper 2.5 comes as an Excel Workbook containing Visual Basic macros (VBA) and several examples that show its the versatility.
Included is also a Read me/Manual as PDF document.
Again: Sankey Helper is almost free:
Send me one of your diagrams,
use it for free.
Sankey Helper is free software under the GNU Public License .
Sankey Helper 2.5,
macros and sample data sheets (in an Excel2004 workbook) and 'Read me' document (as PDF file):
Download Sankey Helper 2.5, ZIP-compressed
archive (1892 kB)
What's new in version 2.5?
- Simpler one-step-default-diagram, avoidig the use of polylines, which led to errors with some users
Please check out the idea for the upcoming 'pragramming language' for SankeyHelper, called SankeyTurtle and drop me some comments if you like:
SankeyTurtle Beta description
Send diagrams/suggestions/questions/complaints to sankey [at] doka.ch
The pages of the former versions are here: Sankey Helper 2.4; Sankey Helper 2.2; Sankey Helper 2.1
The very basic first version of Sankey Helper (v.1.0) of 1999 is here.
List of similar Sankey software
(free and commercial ones) at the worthwhile Sankey-diagram-blog.
Sankey Helper 2.5 by Gabor Doka, Zurich, Switzerland, © 2004-2016, GPL free software